Because they are inexpensive and versatile,
use of Hyson Cells is very diverse - see sidebar on the left.
The geocells are used in four main categories :
- The cell mat is used as vast in-situ formwork to cast a slab of connected interlocked concrete block paving. The cell formwork remains in the slab to serve as in-situ jointing.
Pouring a cell slab
A few applications are :
- Roads and paving
- Canal liners and pond liners
- Erosion protection of slopes
- Cells may be up to 4 metres deep and may be used to reinforce in-situ granular fill by the action of confining it.
- Earth dam walls
- Harbour walls and retaining walls
- Railway formation layers
- Submerged artificial reefs
Cells 2m deep
- The cell mat may be filled with topsoil and vegetated for use as embankment erosion protection.
Steep grass slopes